Swimming in cold waters during the spring time is not an option for many people. The warmth of a heated pool is an open invitation to dive without fear. However, Thermal energy does not come cheap, and heat pumps are expensive appliances. The best and most reliable alternative is a cost efficient solar swimming pool heating the waters using solar energy is the best solution for autumn and spring. Swimming centres benefit enormously as the installed solar collectors ensure constant temperature in the pool.
Scientific innovation has created a plethora of hi-tech appliances with high utility value. The innovations in renewable energy systems have created powerful and alternative systems. The modern and innovative solar collector sheets have an amplifying thermal effect. These top quality plates capture and transfer the heat from sunlight in a seamless fashion. The collectors and pipes heat up at a rapid pace, and warm water enters the pool in no time. The unwieldy water storage tank is eliminated and the surroundings also look clean and scenic.
The pool system is a combination of stationary panels or collectors and pipe works. The other components are joints, clamps, valves and a pump. Since swimming pools require tepid waters, the heating system is optimized for lower temperatures only. The following features have made the solar collectors a favourite across many regions –
- The circulation of waters has twin benefits during summers and colder months.
- In the spring season, there is discernible temperature rise up to 5 or 10 degrees in the solar swimming pool.
- Heating is prevented in summers by non-circulation during the day time as waters are already very hot.
- At nights, circulating the waters in and out of the pool assists in heat dissipation or cooling effect.
- The inexpensive versions do not require concentrated panels or evacuated tubes.
Why to Avoid a Simple Pipe System?
A simple and straightforward pipe system comprises of a black coiled pipe that is connected to the pool. A pump circulates the water in and out of the pool and through the plastic pipe. This is very inexpensive, but it is also not a very efficient way of capturing solar energy.
- The black colour absorbs energy very fast, but the pipes are not very durable. The solar pool heating also gets restricted to a few seasons or bright and sunny days.
- The plastic, PVC, or polyethylene arrangement does not resist ultraviolet rays. The pipeline degradation necessitates frequent replacements that may not be viable.
- A large surface area is required to achieve high temperatures in the solar swimming pool Heating happens slowly, and the overhead sun has to be bright and hot.
- Efficiency can be increased a little by placing reflectors and aluminium foil sheets in the vicinity. But expenses and maintenance needs also rise due to these extra parts.
Tips To Retain Pool Heat
Indoor and outdoor pools are found in modern homes, hotels, and housing estates. Keeping the outdoor waters warm and refreshing is not an easy task. A top quality solar swimming pool heating system is one of the many solutions. Heat pumps, water heaters, and gas heating systems have their own benefits. But solar energy is free, and the thermal benefits are meaningful only if there is heat retention.
- A system with solar collector plates has protective coating or glazing to prevent thermal dissipation.
- The pool warmth can be retained by eliminating wind, ripples, and small waves as they lead to evaporation.
- The comforting and suitable temperature for an outdoor pool is around 85- 89 Fahrenheit or 29-32 Celsius.
- Liquid blankets, solid and floating pool covers during non-use are efficient in preventing heat loss.